Döhle Malta provides a wide range of services to clients which are looking to establish an ownership structure in order to hold their aircraft. We have a wide network of professional advisors across a range of jurisdictions in order to ensure that we are able to offer clients the most suitable solution to meet both their ownership and registration requirements. At Döhle Malta we have a dedicated accounting team to manage all VAT, local tax reporting, invoicing and bookkeeping as part of the ongoing administration.
We can assist with setting up the necessary structure to allow the aircraft to be fully imported into the EU to allow full and free circulation. Working directly with the necessary advisors, we can ensure that the establishment of the structure, VAT registration and importation is completed as a seamless process.
The Malta Aircraft Registry was established on 1st October 2010 and Malta has also acceded to the Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment and its Aircraft Protocol.
In conjunction with our Isle of Man office we can provide the following services:
- Registration of the aircraft
- Creation and management of tax efficient ownership structures
- Administration of the company structure
- Provision of corporate officers including director(s), registered agent, registered office and members
- Provision on nominee shareholders
- Assistance with obtaining any legal services in respect of the purchase of the aircraft
- Maintenance of Real Time financial/management accounts and accounting records
- Preparation of audits and liaison with external auditors if required
- Cash flow analysis and preparation of budgets
- Liaison with external professional advisors and tax authorities as required
- VAT registration and preparation of VAT returns
- Aircraft leasing structures from Malta
- Preparation and submission of income tax returns
- Payroll services
Aircraft leasing in Malta
On the 5th April 2016, the VAT Department in Malta issued its new guidelines in respect of the VAT treatment for aircraft leasing. With the introduction of the VAT Departments guidelines, a Maltese structure can benefit from a significantly lower effective rate of VAT.
The VAT rate that can be achieved is based on the time spent in European Union (EU) Airspace, which is difficult to identify in advance. In order to assist, the VAT department in Malta have issued the following guidelines for the established percentage portions according to the maximum range of the aircraft:
% of lease taking place in the EU
Computation of VAT
Effective rate of VAT
0 - 2,999
60% of consideration @ 18%
3,000 - 4,999
50% of consideration @ 18%
5,000 - 6,999
40% of consideration @ 18%
7,000 - upwards
30% of consideration @ 18%
As a result of the above changes, a large number of business aircraft could potentially benefit from a lower effective rate of VAT. For example, the Bombardier Challenger 650 (max range 7,408 km) and Gulfstream G450 (max range 8,056 km) could be imported and benefit from an effective VAT rate of 5.4% utilising a Maltese lease structure.
The conditions that will apply to the above are:
- The leasing structure requires both the lessor and lessee to be established in Malta.
- The lease will not be for a period greater than 60 months.
- The lease payments must be made monthly, and VAT paid every quarter.
- At the end of the lease, the lessee may opt to purchase the aircraft at a percentage of the original cost.
- If the Lessee exercises the option to purchase the aircraft, a VAT paid certificate will be issued as long as all the VAT due under the lease has been paid.
- The Commissioner for Revenue in Malta has the right to request the lessor to submit details of the use of the aircraft.
- Prior approval of the value of the aircraft and the applicable percentage of the lease subject to VAT shall be obtained in writing from the Commissioner for VAT.
How can DCTS (Malta) Limited assist?
DCTS (Malta) was established in 2012 with experienced personnel well versed on Malta as a financial services jurisdiction. Our team has a wealth of experience in the establishment of Maltese leasing structures, having established a number of similar structures for the importation and operation of yachts. Furthermore, by working with our office located in the Isle of Man we are able to deliver the most suitable structuring solution for each client.